google analytics

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Review: The Dark Divine

Book: The Dark Divine
Author: Bree Despain
Pages: 372
Published: December 22nd 2009 by EgmontUSA
Source: Bought
A prodigal son

A dangerous love

A deadly secret . . .


I stood back and watched his movements. Daniel had that way about him that could shut me down in an instant. . . . I kicked the gravel a couple of times and worked up my courage again. “Tell me . . . I mean . . . why did you come back? Why now, after all this time?”

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared—the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in blood. But she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night really held. And when Daniel returns three years later, Grace can no longer deny her attraction to him, despite promising Jude she’ll stay away.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, her actions stir the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind Jude and Daniel's dark secret . . . and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it—her soul.

I was so completely excited to read The Dark Divine, and to be honest, I was completely terrified when I started. I didn't know how this would turn out, and I had ridiculously high hopes for this book. I was definitely anything but disappointed.

Daniel intrigued me from the start and I was completely on his side through everything, and I knew I was going to take his side instead of Jude's, even though Jude is supposed to be the good son and all. I loved how Grace wasn't written like some kind of perfect teenager just because her dad was a preacher; she was normal and her narrative was inviting and identifiable. Daniel and Grace's romance was intense and completely absorbing -- I so completely loved their scenes together and even though their romance is somewhat fast-paced, I thought it was so wonderfully written that it really doesn't seem fast-paced at the time at all -- it seemed so completely right, because they really loved each other and you could tell.

So the religious aspect of this novel really made me uncomfortable at first. I wasn't sure how much the whole religion thing would factor into the book, and I really do get really uncomfortable when people start talking and preaching about their religion. Luckily, that was completely not an issue. The book drew me in immediately and kept a hold over me without ever letting me go! I loved how the book was so edgy and kind somehow kind of innocent at the same time. I loved how Despain weaved in this idea of a family curse gone wrong, and also incorporated several elements of myths and legends into her book. One thing I really would have liked would be that the Markham Street Monster be elaborated on a little earlier in the book. It confused me at first and really bugged me that I wasn't so sure what the monster was, but luckily Despain explained that whole element really well later on.

Despain used some really interesting words to describe mundane actions, and I really liked how her writing was so unique. She definitely has a talent for storytelling -- some parts completely broke my heart and she was so good at eliciting emotions and reactions from me! There were a couple times I had to stop because I was so scared at what would happen next, and I would just take a deep breath and go OMGOMGOMGOMGin my head.

Bree Despain has definitely made a fan out of me! The Dark Divine wrapped up really nicely in the end and I don't know how she's going to write a sequel for it, but I'm seriously just so excited that she's writing one at all!

Overall: 5 out of 5 stars

Cover: I love this cover! It's so gorgeous, and I fell in love with this cover when I first saw it. I didn't really understand it when I began reading, but later on, nearer the climax I guess, I had an oh-moment, when I realized why the cover was the way it was, and that really made it more amazing, because it really does tie in to the story.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails